Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Felting Fubar


The boy wanted a knitted wool hat. So I got my needles and a cool pattern book and found something I dug. I carefully knit a test swatch and threw it in the washer for felting (a process in which one turns loose floppy knitting into a tight, thick, wind-proof fabric by washing it in hot water; it's other name, when done on accident, is shrinking). Using the measurments created by shrinking my swatch, I mapped out a pattern for the hat. I incorporated yellow snowflakes and these nifty earflaps.
Then, I threw it in the washer, confident it would felt (shrink) in the same proportions as the test swatch.
Hubris, I tell you.
Instead I got this: a felted football helmet.
Turned upside down, it's a nice basket.
In it's current form, the boy has cut eyeholes in it and wears it to freak out the neighbor kids.

2 Comments:

Blogger Buster said...

Pardon the grammar errors. We have no internet in the house yet, so I'm using the public library and they're cleaning around my feet in an effort to convince me they really are closing and I really should go home.

27/7/05 7:26 PM  
Blogger MOLLY said...

Erin - that's hilarious! It really is a helmet - but a cute one. That picture is awesome!

27/7/05 10:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home